Tuesday, May 21, 2013

How to Write the Perfect Wedding Vow

I love a good wedding ceremony.
I always find it's an event that puts life's little troubles into perspective as I witness two people I love dearly, promise their lives to one another... and I never get through it with a dry eye.
Yet the ones that really strike a chord are those ceremonies that include personal vows... promises that both the bride and groom have thought about, considered and written from their hearts. Yes, we could always opt for the standard ones that come off the shelf, but where is the true meaning in that?!
However, as brides and grooms around the world sit there staring at a blank page, wishing the words in the hearts to magically appear on the paper, how do you really get through the writer's block and create the perfect vow?

Start by writing down the following:
1) 3 things you loved about your partner
2) 3 ways that they make your life better
3) 3 actions you promise to do
4) 5 emotions you promise to maintain
Here is a quick example for someone I know very well who loves driving:
1) I love his smile, his gentleness, and his strength
2) He makes me a better person, he brings reason and clarity, he makes me laugh
3) To always be a best friend. To always support and be by his side. To never get upset when he is spending time on the car
4) Respect, love, honesty, faithfulness, loyalty, support
And just put it all together...

Today is the happiest day of my life, as I promise myself to you, wholly and completely.
From the day I fell in love with you, you have been the first thing I think of in the morning, and the last thing I dream of at night. Your smile, your gentleness and your strength are my reasons to live.
You bring laughter and fun to my successes, and reason and clarity to my trials, making me a better person and my world a better place.

I promise to always be your best friend, your wingman and your Sat-Nav, forever to be by your side, through good times and bad.
I promise to love you, respect you, honour and support you, to always be faithful, loyal and honest. I promise to give you space when you need it, never getting in the way of your road, but always willing to travel it with you.
I promise to never get upset or resentful and to always communicate with love, sincerity and honesty.
All this I promise to you from this day forward, for the rest of my days.
Why not give it a try yourself?!

No comments:

Post a Comment